Sports Premium Grant
The Government has committed to giving all schools an annual sum of money to allow them to develop sports provision and help increase pupil participation in sporting activity. The national vision is for “All pupils leaving primary school [to be] physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.”
At Higher Failsworth we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children. Our funding enables us to continue to extend our provision for all our pupils and develop confidence and competence in staff.
The money currently equates to £8000 per school per year plus an additional £5 per child in Year 1 to Year 6. In the financial year 2016/17 (April 2016 – March 2017), we will receive £9,748.
The sports premium funding we receive will support us to continue in our drive to achieve our vision in PE and Sport.
The funding is used to:
- Focus on high quality physical education for all children by ensuring bespoke curriculum support in all aspects of Physical Education for our teachers,
- Deliver a broad variety of enrichment opportunities before school, at lunchtime and after school to engage all children in sport and physical activity.
- Offer all our children competitive opportunities both within and beyond school in a wide range of sports.
- Focus on the importance of developing a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Provide targeted physical intervention groups to support learning.
- Develop sport leadership in our children.
- Foster enjoyment, a sense of fulfilment and desire to participate in a variety of physical activities.
In summer 2016 we were awarded the Sainsbury’s Gold School games Award and we aim to be rewarded the same in summer 2017.
You can read about how we spend our sports funding and its impact here.
For a list of the events/competitions we have attended this year, please click here.