At Higher Failsworth Primary School we believe that a high quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. It enables children of all abilities to use their creative imagination to achieve their full potential with guidance and given criteria. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the cultural creativity and wealth of our nation. Art is not taught in isolation, although it retains its creative base and its skills and techniques. Wherever appropriate, art is linked to other areas of the curriculum and gives children the opportunities to further develop specific art skills as well as reinforcing skills already established.
At Higher Failsworth Primary School we aim to offer opportunities for children to:
- Foster an understanding and enjoyment of art, craft and design.
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
You can find out more about our Art curriculum here.