Our intent in teaching Design Technology at Higher Failsworth is to enable our children to:
- Discuss ideas with each other and be able to present ideas and outcomes to an audience.
- Develop resilience and be able to complete a project through evaluation and re-evaluation.
- To be able to take considered risks
- To choose and use appropriate tools safely and effectively.
- To be able to work successfully together, to critique their own and each other’s work in a constructive manner
- To understand how key events and individuals in Design Technology have helped to shape the world.
- To learn basic skills of nutrition and to apply these as they learn to cook at a basic level.
The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
At Higher Failsworth, we strive to provide a program of learning opportunities for all pupils to gain the basic knowledge and understanding, which underpin design and technology. In addition, we endeavor to provide continuity and progression for all pupils throughout the curriculum as they move through the school. We aim to ensure health and safety of all pupils during design and technology activities.