At Higher Failsworth Primary School we believe that a high quality science experience provides strong foundations and a good understanding of the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry, and physics. Science has been and continues to be a vital part of our lives as well as the world’s future prosperity. All children should gain skills in the essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science. Children should be provided with opportunities to encourage recognition of the power of rational thinking and explanation whilst achieving a sense of love, excitement, and curiosity about our natural world. Children should earn to understand the ways in which science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave and analyse causes.
At Higher Failsworth Primary School we aim to offer opportunities to ensure that all children:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes, and methods of Science through a variety of different scientific enquiries that help them to answer questions about the world around them.
- Are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- Are encouraged to understand how Science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, analyse causes, and evaluate outcomes.
- Ask and answer specific questions.
- Plan and carry out scientific investigation, using equipment, including computers correctly.
- Know and understand the life processes of materials, electricity, light, sound and natural forces.
- Know about the nature of the solar system, including the earth.
- Evaluate evidence and present their conclusions clearly and accurately.
We aim to achieve this through exciting, imaginative and practical lessons that allow the children to foster curious, scientific minds.
You can find out more about our Science curriculum here.