At Higher Failsworth Primary, we recognise the huge value of Physical Education (PE). PE develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities. PE promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable them to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
The intention of the PE curriculum in our school:
- To provide all children with high quality PE and sport provision, which is engaging, accessible and challenging.
- To inspire our pupils and teach them the importance of a healthy and active lifestyle and the benefits of this.
- To provide opportunities for pupils to develop values and transferrable life skills such as fairness and respect, as well as providing them with opportunities to take part in competitive sport, to experience how to win and lose.
- To experience PE and being active in different environments using community links.
- To give pupils a love of PE and being active and give them the confidence to try new sports/activities – within school and the community.
Here at Higher Failsworth, we use a scheme called PE Passport to plan and deliver quality PE lessons. PE Passport focuses on developing children’s skills and performance, their understanding of competition and improves their personal and social development, where values are equally as important as competency.
You can find out more about our PE curriculum here.